Dropbox is my coffee.

Jobs smiled warmly as he told them he was going after their market. “He said we were a feature, not a product,” says Houston. - Forbes

Ben Brooks wrote an interesting article expanding on the above Forbes' quote and how the new Dropbox Pro features (don't) change that idea.

Dropbox still is the first app I install on any new device. For one because it contains my 1Password library, but also because it contains all my files, and I trust the service with my files.
I'm really hesitant on trusting iCloud Drive, and the same goes for Google Drive. But for different reasons. In the case of iCloud it's my prior experience with iCloud and .Mac, and in Google's case it's Google that's the issue.
Apple's primary focus is on selling their hardware, and file syncing is a feature they implement to keep people invested in their platform. For Google, selling ads and data is their business, and they offer Drive and Search as features to collect more data.

Because for as great of a utility Dropbox is for file sync and sharing — it’s still just that — a utility.

But for Dropbox, file sync is the product. And photos, read-only, sharing,.. are the features they to keep people interested in their platform.

I go to my favorite coffeeshop for a good coffee. And it'll always taste better than the coffee at a restaurant. Why? For the barista the cup of coffee is its business, it's its product.
For the restaurant the coffee is a feature they have to offer. Cause everybody expects coffee at the end of their meal. Not good coffee, but just.. coffee.

iCloud Drive is that halfdecent cup of coffee at a restaurant. Dropbox is that V60 Kenya Filter at Caffénation.
Both exist, one to serve the 90%, the other to serve the 10%.

Dropbox Pro - FollowUp

Dropbox pricing isn't quite as transparent as I reported yesterday. I was on the 200GB plan at an annual cost of $199 and, naturally, I assumed that this would be changed automatically to the new 1TB plan at $120. I was wrong. I am still paying £199 but I get 2TB instead of 200MB. Anyone on the 500GB plan will still pay $500 but get 5TB. - MacFilos

Imagine my surprise this morning when my inbox contained an email from Dropbox telling me I now have 2TB of storage available. (actually 2.1GB due to some freebies).
Just like the quoted post above, I expected to get more for less, not even more for the same.
The question is now, what do I do:

  • Do I keep the 2TB for the same price? I don't have 2TB of documents, so I'll probably have more than a terabyte of free space floating there.
  • Or do I move down to the 1TB tier, paying less per month but loosing the option to upgrade to 2TB? Dropbox won't sell these accounts (for now at least..), so if I downgrade I'll probably not be able to upgrade in the forseeable future.

After thinking about this for a while, I'm going to downgrade. I don't need 2TB for now. And with iCloud Drive arriving in the month I'll probably be better of spending part of the money now going to a useless extra terabyte to a sotrage increase for iCloud.

I've got to admit, smart move by Dropbox.

iPhone Display Resolutions

It’s also important to consider the two possible (and not necessarily conflicting) reasons why larger displays are desirable:
- To show more content on the display at once.
- To make the content on the display physically larger. - Daring Fireball

Gruber posted an in-depth overview of all possible and impossible resolutions for the new iPhone 6. Instead of just posting the numbers, he breaks down every option and clearly explains why that specific resolution is or isn't a good solution.
Take your time to read this one, it's dense.