Jobs smiled warmly as he told them he was going after their market. “He said we were a feature, not a product,” says Houston. – Forbes
Ben Brooks wrote an interesting article expanding on the above Forbes’ quote and how the new Dropbox Pro features (don’t) change that idea.
Dropbox still is the first app I install on any new device. For one because it contains my 1Password library, but also because it contains all my files, and I trust the service with my files.
I’m really hesitant on trusting iCloud Drive, and the same goes for Google Drive. But for different reasons. In the case of iCloud it’s my prior experience with iCloud and .Mac, and in Google’s case it’s Google that’s the issue.
Apple’s primary focus is on selling their hardware, and file syncing is a feature they implement to keep people invested in their platform. For Google, selling ads and data is their business, and they offer Drive and Search as features to collect more data.
Because for as great of a utility Dropbox is for file sync and sharing — it’s still just that — a utility.
But for Dropbox, file sync is the product. And photos, read-only, sharing,.. are the features they to keep people interested in their platform.
I go to my favorite coffeeshop for a good coffee. And it’ll always taste better than the coffee at a restaurant. Why? For the barista the cup of coffee is its business, it’s its product.
For the restaurant the coffee is a feature they have to offer. Cause everybody expects coffee at the end of their meal. Not good coffee, but just.. coffee.
iCloud Drive is that halfdecent cup of coffee at a restaurant. Dropbox is that V60 Kenya Filter at Caffénation.
Both exist, one to serve the 90%, the other to serve the 10%.