Apple has added a new dark mode, Dark Aqua, to macOS Mojave. Since there's currently no easy way to toggle between the two modes, I've created a button you can add to your MacBook Pro's Touchbar that allows you to quickly move from and to the dark side.
- Create a Contextual Workflow in Automator and add the code below.
- Set the input to none, and pick a good icon.
- Save the workflow and give it a clear name like Dark Mode.
- Go to System Preferences > Extensions and choose Touch Bar.
- Enable your newly created workflow
- Go to System Preferences > Keyboard and choose Customize Controlstrip
- Drag the Workflow button to your Touchbar
tell application "System Events" tell appearance preferences set dark mode to not dark mode end tell end tell
iOS 12 Maps.app shows Belgian trains routes and schedules now.
Update: this is already live in iOS 11!
It’s a weird WWDC this year. On one hand Apple released tons of features. On the other hand there were only a few big tickets items.
All in all I’d summarize as: Apple went for all the low hanging fruit this year, filling obvious blanks in their platforms but they left the big changes for another time.
The biggest change for iOS will be the Shortcuts app. Integrating Workflow into Siri and seriously expanding upon the Sirikit capabilities.
Marco Arment hoped for “tell App to do thing” during last weeks ATP.fm. This is basically it.
Speaking of Podcasts, the availability of the app on watchOS was long overdue and will make going out without your iPhone a lot more fun. This combined with the automated Workout detection are two cool new features for the Apple Watch.
I’m not a big macOS fan but I can’t wait for the Finder Actions to come to iOS. Desktop stacks on Mac feel like they belong in the iPads home screen too. Replacing the app grid with documents and widgets and moving all apps to the iPad dock seems a logical move someday.
The iPad also got a little love. Control center is now an overlay of the home screen. The menubar is less cluttered and contains a date now. And the combined notifications are yet again an example of finally.
I had a wishlist. Let’s see how I did:
- ✖️New reminders app that forgets the cards concept
- ✔️Integration for third party apps in Siri watch face
- ✖️iOS Safari Desktop Mode which would makes site backends like Squarespace or Zendesk finally work.
- ✔️Podcast.app for Apple Watch
- ✖️Time Machine backups to iCloud, or expand synced iCloud Drive Folders in macOS.
- ✖️Change Flashlight shortcut on iPhone X to app if choice
- ✔️True black mode for iBooks
- ✖️Sync Home.app Room photos
- ✖️The ability to receive more than one document at once via AirDrop
- ✖️The ability to change photo album cover photos on iOS
- ✖️Background downloads for iOS Safari.
- ✖️Shared iCloud Drive folders with family members
- ✔️Shared iCloud Photo a library albums with family members
- ✖️A way to distribute IAP via VPP
- ✖️A way to push macOS releases to devices via MDM (installhighsierra)
- ✖️SAML integration for Managed AppleIDs for easier deployment via OneLogin, Okta or Google or AD.
- ✖️Apple Pay in Belgium
- ✖️Apple News Worldwide
- ✖️TV app to replace Movies
- ✖️Predictive keyboard in Dutch
- ✔️NMBS in Apple Maps
- ✖️De Lijn in Apple Maps
More as a reminder for myself than a real useful thing, but below you’ll find my Keynote wishlist.
iOS, watchOS, macOS
- New reminders app that forgets the cards concept
- Integration for third party apps in Siri watch face
- iOS Safari Desktop Mode which would makes site backends like Squarespace or Zendesk finally work.
- Podcast.app for Apple Watch
- Time Machine backups to iCloud, or expand synced iCloud Drive Folders in macOS.
- Change Flashlight shortcut on iPhone X to app if choice
- True black mode for iBooks
- Sync Home.app Room photos
- The ability to receive more than one document at once via AirDrop
- The ability to change photo album cover photos on iOS
- Background downloads for iOS Safari.
iCloud and Enterprise
- Shared iCloud Drive folders with family members
- Shared iCloud Photo a library albums with family members
- A way to distribute IAP via VPP
- A way to push macOS releases to devices via MDM (installhighsierra)
- SAML integration for Managed AppleIDs for easier deployment via OneLogin, Okta or Google or AD.
- Apple Pay in Belgium
- Apple News Worldwide
- TV app to replace Movies
- Predictive keyboard in Dutch
- De Lijn and NMBS in Apple Maps
- iCloud Movies Library, making all your movies available everywhere
- Desktop mode for iPad with support for keyboard, trackpad and display.
- Siri available on any device with the same feature set without the need for third party apps to be installed on that device.